First Rotation – LEARN (0-350 hours)
The first rotation of the Cosmetology portion of the program is designed to provide the theory and basis for all cosmetology techniques and technologies. Students are graded and evaluated using written, oral, and practical testing methods. Students will learn through lectures, demonstrations and work on mannequin heads about the following topics:
Sanitation, Personal Hygiene and Public Health, Anatomy & Physiology as well as, the fundamentals of cutting, color, texture, styling, skin and nails.
Students must successfully complete the curriculum in the Learn rotation prior to attending regularly scheduled daily classes in cutting, coloring, permanent waving, and chemical texture services.
Second Rotation – CREATE (351-900 hours)
The second rotation of the Cosmetology portion of the program will be guided by an instructor with individual attention and group learning experiences using workshops, monthly mini-classes, clinic classroom worksheets, and periodic evaluations developed specifically for monitoring progress. This rotation is when you begin experiencing your clinic classroom education on paying clients in the clinic classroom area. Students will learn:
Hair Dressing, Hair Coloring, Chemical Hair Restructuring, Scalp + Hair Treatments, Skin Care, Brows, Manicuring + Pedicuring, and Artificial Nails.
During this rotation students will also start their Minimum Practical Application (MPAs) hours which are a requirement through the State of Michigan to be eligible to take the state board exam.
Third Rotation – PROSPER (901-1449 hours)
The third rotation of the Cosmetology portion of the program is designed to provide all of the fundamentals of makeup application and continue with Cosmetology Minimum Practical Applications (MPAs) on the student clinic floor. Students will learn through demonstrations, and hands-on training all of the techniques presented in the Professional Artist Portion of the makeup curriculum. Courses include:
Makeup Essentials, Airbrush, Advanced Artistry, Comprehensive Beauty, Business I, Bridal Media I, Bridal Media II and Business II.
Fourth Rotation – EVOLVE (1450-1500 hours)
The fourth rotation of the Cosmetology portion of the program is designed to prepare students for the State Board examination as well as provide time for completion of Minimum Practical Applications (MPAs). Students will review topics that will be covered on the written portion of the exam. Additionally, through demonstration and hands-on experience, students will prepare for the practical portion of the exam.
This course begins online in an interactive training format designed to equip students with the fundamentals of artistry and provide feedback on execution before attending on-campus classes. Through a series of audio, text, video content and interactive tools, you will learn color theory, foundation matching, sanitation, tool selection and use, basic contour and highlight skills, and accurate placement for every facial feature.
Once online coursework is completed, student work is assessed by an instructor so that on the first day of on-campus class, students can begin practicing makeup application.
- Makeup Essentials Online Course – 19.5hrs
- Sanitation, Product & Tools, Kit Focus, Color Theory, Skin Prep & Set, General Facial Anatomy, Foundation Matching, Color Correction, Eye Components, Brow Application, Lash Application, Beauty Application, Facial Zones, Skin Types, Brow Correction, Shadow Placement for Eye Components, Lash Application for Eye Components, Color Harmony for a Full Application
- Makeup Essentials Practical – 19.5hrs
- Online course subjects; Practical training
Airbrush is a staple technique for any aspiring artist. This course teaches students the art of applying makeup without the use of brushes. Using the airbrush compressor, gun, and product, students learn to apply color correction, foundation, contour, highlight and blush.
- Airbrush Fundamentals – 19.5hrs
- Equipment Knowledge, Product Knowledge, Airbrush Techniques, Foundation Matching, Color Correction, Highlight & Contour, Full Application, Airbrush Maintenance
This course is designed to take beauty skills to the next level through training on advanced contouring techniques, mature and age-appropriate makeup, trending makeup styles and technique, creating custom foundations, and manipulating tools and textures to create glamorous makeup looks.
- Advanced Artistry – 39hrs
- Texture & Finishes, Advanced Product Knowledge & Specialty Tools, Smokey Eye Techniques, Advanced Eyeliner Techniques, Trending Makeup, Mature & Age Appropriate Applications, Foundation Building, Advanced Anatomy, Shading Techniques & Tools, Contour/Highlight with Powder & Creams, Nose Contour, Multiple Contouring Techniques: Reverse; Two-Tier; Trending; Corrective; and Transformative
This course incorporates all skills learned in every previous class, while challenging students to improve speed, ease of application, and creative ability to incorporate multiple techniques in one look and effectively execute looks in an ergonomic environment.
- Comprehensive Beauty – 19.50hrs
- This course incorporates all skills learned in MUE, ADVANCED ARTISTRY, and AIRBRUSH FUNDAMENTALS through demonstration and practical learning
This course provides students with a business start-up plan. Establishing your brand, website, mission, vision, marketing strategies and setting goals are all a part of how students will prepare for a successful career.
- Business I Online Course – 19.50hrs
- Complete Business Startup, Branding, Marketing, Mission & Vision Statements, Branding Your Business, Marketing Your Business, Taxes for Freelancers, Building a Website, Resumes & Job Hunting, Business Ethics, Intro to Rates, Developing a Portfolio & TFP Shoots, Setting Goals, Registering Your Business
- Business I Practical – 19.5
- Online Course Subjects; Practical Training
This course is designed to equip students with the skills to execute a variety of bridal looks for all styles and seasons, based on the client’s needs, and incorporating both airbrush and traditional techniques.
- Bridal Media I – 19.50hrs
- English Rose Bridal Look, Beach Bronzed Bridal Look (Waterproof), South Asian Bridal (Modern & Traditional, Natural Bride, Creating A Professional Bridal Kit (Needs Vs. Wants), Destination Weddings, Traveling with Your Kit, Adjusting Looks for Drama (Bump-Ups), Lash Styles & How to Choose The Right Lash For Your Look
Students will learn pro products for bridal work, popular bridal looks, how to present themselves and communicate professionally, and how to create a customized look for each client.
- Bridal Media – 19.50hrs
- Classic Vintage Bride, Bridal Smoky, Romantic Smoky, Middle Eastern Bridal (Modern & Traditional), Lash Stacking, Reacting to Client Requests, Reacting to Client Feedback, Quick Fixes and Shortcuts, Product Substitutions, Setting Up Your Kit In Any Situation, Kit Intensive Review
This course is designed to help develop students into business professionals. Each class meeting students will engage in-class discussion, group activities and self-reflection. Students will learn how to start building a clientele, how to create a bridal menu of services, budgeting, and setting rates to insure bridal business success.
- Business II – 19.50hrs
- Consultations, Bridal Contracts, Creating Menu of Services, Creating Client Intake Forms, Client Communication Skills
In this course, students will learn how to minimize texture from scarring and acne, how to cover vibrant colors for skin conditions like a port wine stain and vitiligo. In addition, they will learn tattoo cover-up and realistic camouflage for the high demands of HD.
- Camouflage – 13hrs
- Product Knowledge, Water Resistant vs Waterproof, Traditional Method, High Definition Technology & Products, Covering Vibrant Colors, Minimizing Texture, Realistic Camouflage, and HD Applications
Students will take a trip through history to learn about and execute looks from every decade ranging from the 1920s-1970s. Skills like brow blocking and HD makeup are essential for learning to create these classic looks for modern times.
- Vintage Beauty – 19.50hrs
- Era History 20s-70s, Era Icons, Era Appropriate Colors, Product Choices, Brow Correction, Lighting & Photography, Set Layout, 20s-70s Look Replications, Modern Interpretations, Brow Blocking, and HD Product Knowledge
Students will learn FX techniques that can be accomplished with out of the kit products enabling them to provide simple, yet effective looks for commercial and editorial shoots that hold up to the high demands of HD technology. Skills like bruising, minor wounds, minor old age, sickness and irritation are essential when working in the industry.
- 2 Day Special FX – 13hrs
- Bruises, Cuts, Scrapes, Minor Old Age, Chapped Lips, Exposure to the Elements
In this course students will be equipped with the knowledge to determine the differences between trade versus paid work, how to understand and negotiate commercial rates, learn photo-shoot etiquette in order to effectively work with talent, creative teams and high profile clients.
- Business III – 19.50hrs
- Commercial Rates, Negotiations, Studio Etiquette
This course is a compilation of skills needed to work on photo shoots, ad campaigns, bridal, commercial shoots and runway shows. Editorial, clean beauty and runway makeup skills are taught to equip students to meet the demands of an ever-changing part of the makeup industry. Men’s Grooming and women’s styling accompany the makeup technique taught to complete a comprehensive look. The final course project is a photo-shoot that incorporates all skills learned in the classroom.
- Multimedia – 58.50hrs
- Editorial Shoots, Clean Beauty Shoots, Runway, Men’s Grooming, Women’s Styling, Location Shoots, Androgyny, Beauty Stories, Mock Photoshoot
This course is designed to equip students with the creative knowledge to execute conceptual Avant Garde designs. Students will learn the difference between inspiration and imitation, the pioneers of Avant Garde looks, how to conceptualize their designs, and how to incorporate unusual products into their makeups while maintaining a high level of integrity.
- Avant Garde – 19.5hrs
- Innovative Product Usage, Design Elements, 3D Material Incorporation, Intro to Conceptual Imagery
Content Creator Certification
This course is designed to equip students with the skills to execute quality photos for their makeup and special fx portfolio. While our programs primarily focus on the art of makeup and special fx, a key element to success is being able to showcase your work. In Intro to Photography, students will learn how to use the resources around them to create engaging, dynamic photos that will be perfect for their portfolios and social media. This course will include camera usage, editing workshops, and graphical best practices.
- Photography + Editing – 19.5 hrs
- Camera vs. Cell Phone, Point + Shoot vs. DSLR, Basic Lighting Styles, Manual Mode, Pro Mode Settings, Retouching, Lightroom, Photoshop, GIMPShop
This course is designed to equip students with the skills to execute quality video showcasing their makeup and special effects work. While our programs primarily focus on the art of makeup and special fx, a key element to success is being able to showcase your work. In Intro to Video + Editing, students will learn how to use the resources around them to create impressive videos suitable for websites and multiple social media platforms. This course will include camera usage, editing workshops, and graphical best practices.
- Video + Editing – 19.5 hrs
- Camera vs. Cell Phone, DSLR vs. Camcorders, Lighting for Video, Conceptualization, Adjusting Audio, Editing Basics, Premiere Pro, Premiere Rush, Video Phone Apps
This course is designed to equip students with the skills to execute quality photos for their makeup and special fx portfolios. While our programs primarily focus on the art of makeup and special fx, a key element to success is being able to showcase your work. With Social Media Marketing, students will combine skills learned in the previous classes to create Social Media posts and campaigns that can circumvent the necessity of going viral and instead, create a more polished, authentic social strategy.
- Social Media Marketing – 19.5 hrs
- SM Platforms Available, Profile DOs + DONTs, Content Creation, Brand Establishment, Social Media Failures, Measuring Analytics, Convert Goals to Sales, Handling negativity, Best Practices
Your Time. Your Experience. Your Qualifications
"I just finished a feature film."
"MMA teaches how to combine your artistry with business"
Step 1 – Apply Now
Please note, in order to access the application form, you will first have to submit the $100 application fee. You will then be redirected to the application form. Once you complete your application, a Multimedia Makeup Academy representative will review your application and reach out to you for a virtual interview. We are grateful for your interest and look forward to speaking with you soon.